'LinkedIn' is probably the online network with which most of us are familiar and, indeed, have used. I know several colleagues who use it but I have not joined up myself. Again, I think this is mostly down to that nebulous feeling of anxiety about "stuff about me going on the internet" but also because I believe it's primarily used as a professional networking tool, and I suppose I've never thought of myself as having been a 'professional' within LIS because I'm not a qualified librarian. This may also be no more than a convenient excuse for the information-internet fear I mentioned earlier.
Whilst searching for LISNPN, missing out a key letter along the way, I discovered the 'Long Island Sports Photo Network' which was in itself fairly interesting but not quite what I was after. Putting the necessary 'N' back in, I reached the 'LIS New Professionals Network' which is a friendly-looking site for, unsurprisingly, new library and information professionals. There is a blog, an RSS feed and downloadable how-to guides, including one for podcasting, one of our upcoming "things." As far as weighing up the potential advantages / disadvantages of online networking for our LRC go, I would think that one big advantage would be the ability to share information immediately across all of our sites (presuming, of course, that the network is up and running! ha).
Library 2.0 is yet another example of an online network, even shinier than its predecessors. It's also bristling with widgets, which, as you are all probably aware by now, I do enjoy, but it does feel like they might have gone a little overboard, even for me. The other area it's definitely a little heavy on is buzzwords. Now, I understand the need for "moving libraries forward into the digital age", for being a part of a "learning revolution age", etc, BUT, if people continue to throw the word "cybrarian" around, I will not be held responsible for my actions. Stop.it. Yes you.
- the ability to share information across all of our sites simultaneously (good for students + staff)
- possibly being able to connect with other members of staff within the college? This could be useful in terms of scheduling and/or planning information skills sessions
- It would be another opportunity for the LRC to have a bigger digital 'role'/impact on learning
I think I'd better finish here before I start arguing for the merits of quills and steam power. Until my next post, I leave you with a gem of a quote regarding Mondays ... things can only improve ;)
.@JamesSACorey Monday's failure gives Tuesday the chance to step into the light and be the day we all deserve.
— Joe Abercrombie (@LordGrimdark) April 8, 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment